Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pickled banana pepper rings


This year was my first attempt at growing banana peppers, and boy oh boy, did I end up with a bumper crop of peppers!  I planted three banana pepper seedlings earlier in the summer, and the weather was perfect for peppers this year.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all the peppers. Every time I pick one, two more seem to grow in its place!


I actually decided to plant banana peppers this year because I wanted to make pickled banana pepper rings, like the kind you find at Subway or Quizno's.  However, I should have looked for a recipe BEFORE planting the peppers, because I've had a tough time trying to find banana pepper recipes to use up my bumper crop.

After quite a bit of searching on the Web, I finally found a pickled yellow pepper ring recipe from the National Center for Home Preserving.  This was a very easy canning recipe to follow. The most time-consuming part was cutting up all the peppers.

The peppers settled to the bottom a few minutes after a pulled them from the canner.

I waited a month before opening up a finished jar to let the flavors develop.  And they turned out excellent, if I do say so myself.  I like to use them as a sandwich topper. (They're really good with deli roast beef).

Do you have a recipe for banana peppers that your family enjoys?  I'm still on a hunt for ways to use up all my banana peppers.  We missed last week's frost, so the peppers are still growing out in my garden.

7 comments:

  1. I just finished your pepper recipe. I'm going to wait a month as you suggested before trying them. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the peppers turn out soft and mushy? I used a similiar recipe minus the spices. I just made a trial batch soaking them in lime and they were firm and crunchy. I was wondering if the spices helped with keeping the peppers firm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for a recipe that the pepper rings are crunchy, can you give me yours? A brime sounds like it would work.

      Delete
  3. No, they aren't crunchy, but I wouldn't call them mushy either. Somewhere in between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is the daggone recipe to go with this page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe link is there. Just click on "pickled yellow pepper rings" in the 3rd paragraph. I've put it bold so you can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be pickling mine today. I also smoke them and dehydrate them. If you have a smoker or access to one. Cut the top off, de-seed it and smoke them for a good long time on low temps. 6-12 hours. Then put them in the dehydrator to finish drying/preserving them. Seal them in a mason jar using the food saver mason jar adapter. They are great for soups and stews that you want to have a smoky flavor. I use mine a lot for chili because the wife and kids don't like the heat from the jalapenos that I do this to as well. Home made chipoltes sort of.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails