Sunday, September 18, 2011

Summer at the Iowa Arboretum


Every time the Iowa Arboretum has a plant sale, I can't seem to drive by without stopping.  This time, I ended up buying a few daylily bulbs for my garden.  I was looking for red and yellow daylilies to add a little more color to the garden, since all I have now are orange daylilies.

My hands were literally full of bulbs, but I tried to snap a couple pictures of the Arboretum's children's garden. It featured a mix of flowers and vegetables, planted in raised beds. I also discovered this garden tunnel for the kids to play in.



It was really sunny out when I took the photo below, so it's hard to see.  But the garden displayed plants ranging from A to Z, as you could see from the stone markers.  (If you look closely, you can see the "M" towards the front.)  I loved this idea!


The Iowa Arboretum also has several miles of hiking trails, which I plan to check out this fall. The arboretum is located north of Madrid near the 4-H camp. From Highway 30 west of Ames, travel south on Highway 17, then turn west at the old brick school.  Look for the signs pointing south to the Arboretum road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails