Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Frost advisory

Tonight, I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Felix & Oscars in West Des Moines, with my sister and mom, who was in town for a meeting.  When I got home, I checked my Facebook page and saw that my friends were picking their tomatoes ahead of this evening's first frost of the season.  Granted, many of my friends are from northern Iowa, where temps are supposed to dip well below freezing.  But when I saw that a CSA farmer in nearby Boone was also picking her tomatoes and peppers, I realized I better save what I could, even if it was 9 o'clock at night.



So my husband and I grabbed flashlights and jackets, and we just finished picking the tomatoes and peppers worth saving (i.e., those that aren't too small or bug-ridden).  I really wanted to save the late-planted heirloom tomatoes I bought at the Osceola Community Garden back in June.  The plant had plenty of tomatoes on it, but none had ripened yet.  I'm hoping they will ripen after picking on my kitchen counter.

Looks like my gardening season is coming to an early close.  Did your gardens escape the frost?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails