Thursday, September 15, 2011

Iowa Church Cookbook Recipes: Banana Bars


I've officially declared this the summer of bananas.  I've baked up three different varieties of banana bread, and then I followed it up with these banana bars.  I remember eating these little bars with their rich cream-cheese frosting at our after-church gatherings when I was a kid.  These bars are so easy to bake, I'm not sure why I don't make them more often.

Well, I've remedied that this year.  My husband and I enjoyed these banana bars so much, I made another batch the following weekend, which we shared with the neighbors.  Hope you enjoy this recipe as much I as we do.

-------------------------------------------

Can't Be Beat Banana Bars

Bars:
  • 1-1/2 C. sugar
  • 1/2 C. margarine (I used butter instead)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 C. sour cream
  • 3 ripe bananas, mahsed
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt 
  • 2 C. flour

Frosting:
  • 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 6 T. butter
  • 1 T. cream
  • 2 C. powdered sugar

Bars: Cream sugar and margarine.  Beat in eggs and sour cream.  Mix in bananas and vanilla.  Sift baking soda, salt and flour.  Add to banana mixture.  Bake in greased 10 x 13 inch pan at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.  Frosting: Mix all frosting ingredients together well. Spread on cooled bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails