Friday, September 9, 2011

Iowa church cookbook recipe: Morning Glory Muffins


I planted carrots in the same garden plot as tomatoes.  By mid-July, the tomatoes were getting so big that they were overshadowing the carrots.  So even though the carrots were on the small side, I decided it was time to yank them out of the ground.  We have really rich, black, heavy soil here in central Iowa, so I always have a difficult time trying to get the little carrots out of the ground without them breaking off.  Does anyone have a trick for digging up carrots?

Even though the carrots were small, I ended up with quite a few of them.  

Fresh from the garden.

All cleaned up!
Since they were so tiny, I thought it would be best to shred them in the food processor and bake with them.  I wasn't in the mood for carrot cake, so I turned to my favorite church cookbook and found a recipe for Morning Glory Muffins.  I had all the ingredients on hand, which is great because I didn't want to make another trip to the grocery store.

These muffins turned out a little "tough," but I think that's because I didn't add the shredded apple.  (I was out of apples.)  You're welcome to give them a try if you have a few extra carrots in your refrigerator that need to be used up.

------------------------------------------

Morning Glory Muffins

  • 1/2 C. raisins, soaked 1/2 hour in hot water (drain)
  • 2 C. flour
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp nutmet
  • 2 C. shredded carrots
  • 1 large tart apple, shredded
  • 1/2 C. sliced almonds (opt.)
  • 1/2 C. coconut (opt.)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2/3 C. cooking oil
  • 2 tsp. vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and spices. Stir in drained raisins, carrots, apples, almonds and coconut.  Beat eggs.  Add oil and vanilla.  Add to flour mixture and stir just to combine.  Grease muffin cups or line with paper liners.  Fill cups 2/3 full.  You can sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top, if desired.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to35 minutes.  Yield: 24 muffins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails