Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Norwegian family recipe: Rommegrot


Hope you all don't mind, but I'm on a Norwegian food kick lately.  I'm always surprised by how many folks stumble onto my blog looking for kringla, rosette or lefse recipes.  So I'm adding another family-favorite Norwegian recipe to the mix.

Along with lefse and lutefisk every Christmas, my grandma always served rommegrot, a Norwegian cream pudding.  Goodness, it was such a treat!  It was always served warm, and we would top it with melted butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar.  Grandma would always serve it in fancy glass dessert bowls, which made it even more special.

Unfortunately, I don't have my grandmother's old recipe.  But I do have a church cookbook from back home that has two very similar recipes for rommegrot.  So I just picked the one with the easiest-to-follow directions.  I made this recipe on Christmas Eve night, as a surprise to my dad and sister, who drove in a snow storm to spend the holidays with me.  (My family is such a blessing!)

And guess what?  It turned out perfect, nearly as good as my grandmother's rommegrot.  The flavor totally took me back to my childhood days sitting at the little kids' table at grandma's house.

So as my gift to you, I'm sharing my recipe for our family favorite, rommegrot.  It's a great treat for a cold, winter day.

-----------------------------------------------------

Rommegrot
From Deer Creek Lutheran Church Cookbook; Carpenter, Iowa (my grandma's hometown)

  • 1 C. butter, melted
  • 3/4 C. flour (add to butter and whisk)
Boil for 1 minute.  Add:
  • 8 C. whole milk
Keep stirring until thick and it boils a bit.  Add:
  • 1/3 C. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Stir in well. Serve with melted butter, sugar and cinnamon. Yield: 12 servings.

6 comments:

  1. I like the restrained use of butter in this recipe; we have a similar pudding in our Lebanese repertoire, and it is also delicious. Happy holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! Interesting to learn that there's a similar Lebanese recipe. It's definitely a favorite in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've just known your blog and I will come back again to look for delicious recipes... congratulation, your blog is just amazing!
    I have just created a Club for cupcakes lovers :
    www.the-cupcake-club.com
    and I was wondering if you would like to share with us a recipe of your best cupcakes (I would put a link of your blog of course!) If you are interested, please have a look at the website, in the recipe section.
    Have a nice day!
    Clothilde.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your post as I was looking for the correct spelling for the name of this dish - my Norwegian grandmother from Minnesota used to make it & my family loves it! Was just transferring our family recipe to my own recipe box & wanted to spell it right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made Rommegrot for the first time using this recipe for a Holiday party at work. Several people came up to me and said it brought back childhood memories from when their grandmas use to make it. I plan to make it again for our Christmas dinner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm puzzled by this recipe, as it does not contain sour cream (romme)...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails