Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cherry Coffee Cake


Guess I'm on a coffee-cake kick lately.  I've kept this cherry coffee cake recipe in my to-do file forever and finally got around to trying it the other day.  This recipe comes from an Iowa farming newspaper.  I'm guessing it's a pretty old recipe, given the large amounts of sugar and eggs used.  Another hint is that the recipe calls for "oleo," an old-fashioned name for stick margarine (made from soyoil).

I prefer to bake with butter (hooray for dairy farmers!), so I used butter instead of "oleo." My farm-boy hubby got all excited when he saw me open up a can of cherry pie filling for this coffee cake.  He told me that his mom didn't bake much when he was growing up, because she didn't like feeding her kids sweets, but when she did bake, she liked to make pies with canned cherry pie filling.

He was so excited about the cherry pie filling topping, he dug into the coffee cake immediately.  He even offered to drizzle the powdered sugar icing on top.



This is a very simple cake to make, has a nice retro look and uses ingredients I already have in my cupboard.  So I'm putting this in my "keeper" file.  Hope you enjoy it, too!


-----------------------------------------

Cherry coffee cake

  • 1 C. oleo
  • 1-3/4 C. sugar (mix well with oleo)
  • 4 eggs (add 1 at a time, beat well)
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 C. flour
  • 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Spread 3/4 batter in greased jelly roll pan. Top with canned cherry pie filling. Drop rest of batter hit and miss over top. Bake at 350 degrees 25 to 35 minutes. Cool slightly and drizzle with thin icing.

Icing:
  • 2 Tbl. oleo (warm with 2 Tbl. milk)
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
Add enough powdered sugar to make thin icing.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, this cake looks so lovely and delicious. All that yummy icing definitely makes this a keeper. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fun post! I found it from a search on "cherry-topped coffee cake." I am looking for a yeasted coffee cake recipe, but yours looks good, also! I am going to click on the "Great grandma's coffee cake" link next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am learning english. My last lesson was about cherry filled cofee cake. Now I think I can do it!! Well, at least I will try. Congratulations.Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this recipe! I remember eating this frequently growing up and have been looking for the recipe for it and finally here it is! Tastes just like I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother made this recipe all the time in the 60s and 70s. I don't bake nearly as much as she did (to keep our weight down!), but when I do this is one of my favorites. To make this even better, add almond extract to the icing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails