Sunday, December 11, 2011

Iowa recipes: Caramel corn


I wasn't going to post this recipe. But my husband said I should go ahead and share it, even if it didn't turn out perfect.  He said it'll make my blog "more real."

To be fair, I don't think it was the recipe's fault.  It's a pretty standard caramel corn recipe, which I found in an old 4-H cookbook.  This caramel corn was very good, and my husband and I ended up eating the entire batch. But the texture wasn't right.  I think it has more to do with my inexperience with a candy thermometer than with the recipe.  The "caramel" on the popcorn crystallized when it cooled.  The flavor was excellent, but the texture wasn't as smooth as it should be.  (Does that make sense?)


Think I'm going to give this recipe another try this weekend.  I'll let you know if it turns out, and tell you what I did differently.  Do you have any advice for making caramel corn?  The recipe looks so simple; I just need to get over my fear of the candy thermometer!

---------------------------------------------------------

Caramel Corn

  • 1 C. butter
  • 2 C. sugar
  • 1/2 C. dark corn syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 6 quarts unsalted popped popcorn.
Combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Cook for 5 minutes or to 240 to 248 degrees on a candy thermometer, firm-ball stage, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

Add the baking soda, beating well. Pour over the popped popcorn in a bowl, stirring to coat.

Spread on a  large baking sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Yield: 20 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails