Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Allspice in East Village, Des Moines


This weekend, I was in the mood for a little adventure.  And for me, a little adventure means exploring close to home.  I've been hearing a lot about a new shop, Allspice, in downtown Des Moines' East Village.  I love shopping in the East Village. So many fun stores and restaurants, all within walking distance.  If you're looking for a unique Christmas gift, check out the East Village.


I found Allspice on Locust Street, and the store was packed!  I parked myself at the tasting bar, where I tried several different olive oils and balsamic vinegars.  I really liked the "fruity" flavors, such as the red apple balsamic.  I ended up buying a couple small bottles of pomegranate balsamic and blood orange olive oil.  I plan to use these in stirfries and salad dressings.


I also bought a few baking supplies: cocoa nibs, which I've always wanted to try, crystallized ginger (one of my favorites) and maple sugar powder, which I plan to add to my morning bowl of oatmeal. Allspice was a foodie paradise, and I'm sure I'll be making many more visits in the future.  Plus, I'm always looking for an excuse to visit the East Village!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails