Monday, January 18, 2010

Tied in knots



I finally got around to finishing my latest crochet project.  It's a shawl that actually ended up being way, way too long for me.  So now I have it on display draped over my living room couch.

I taught myself crochet last winter.  It was completely on a whim.  My husband had mentioned years ago that he thought I would like crochet.  I was looking for a new hobby to keep my hands busy while I caught up on my favorite TV shows.  (Lost, 24 and Grey's Anatomy are my favorites now.) 

I visited a Barnes and Noble with a friend over Christmas break.  She was looking at quilting books, and my eye caught a glimpse of the crochet book section.  I found a book called, "Teach Yourself Visually Crochet," and I bought it on the spot.

I spent at least three months practicing almost every crochet stitch in the book.  Whenever I'd get confused, I would turn to YouTube to find a instructional video demonstrating the stitch.

I've only completed two projects: a cowl and a shawl.  The pattern for this shawl came from the January/February 2009 issue of Crochet Today magazine.  It's a great source of modern crochet projects.  I especially love that it lists all the yarns used in a project, so I can order them online instead of traveling to multiple craft stores located many miles from my home.

Here's a few more pics of my shawl.  It turned out OK for my first big project:





1 comment:

  1. Great job Teresa! You are brave to undertake such a large project early on in your crocheting 'career':-) I'm learning to knit with just a little scarf! YouTube is very helpful with demonstrations, I've found as well. Thanks for sharing, I always like to see what others create!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails