Monday, January 4, 2010

Hibernation

So far, we've had three consecutive days of subzero temperatures here in central Iowa. Tonight, the temps are dropping to -14 degrees F, according to the weather forecasters. It's literally an icebox outside, folks. Iowa has turned into the new North Pole.

I'd like to say that I've been taking advantage of the 2-foot snow drifts by breaking out cross-country skis or snow shoes and making fresh tracks in the powdery snow. But I'm not. Instead, I'm in full-blown hibernation mode.

Between my extra busy days at work, the holiday rush, an awful head cold, the shorter daylight hours and the frigid temps, I have to force myself out of bed or off the couch. If there's a plus side, it's that I've finally caught up on my TiVo recordings of "The Office" and "Glee." I probably shouldn't be bragging about that, though.

I came home from work early on New Year's Eve and saw my backyard in the daylight for the first time in weeks. Everything is covered in at least a foot or two of snow.

I'm conducting an informal neighborhood contest to see which house on my block has the largest icicle. I'd say we're winning the contest, hands down, with this giant icicle. I'm thinking it's got to be at least 4-feet long. Of course, my husband reminds me that's not a contest we should be proud of winning. It means that the insulation in our roof, which we added when we first moved in five years ago, isn't doing its job. Also not a good thing to see a giant icicle hugging the power line to our house.

It makes me giggle to see all the rabbit, squirrel and cat tracks in the snow. Shouldn't they be hibernating like me?


Anyhow, I want to apologize to my fellow Martha Mondays colleagues for taking a break from the projects. It's been hard to find the motivation to leave the house to shop for supplies. Plus, I'm heading into my busy season at work, so I might miss a few weeks this month, as well.


And although this may be a few days late, I do have some New Year's resolutions I'd love to put down in writing. I'm already a fitness junkie, so my resolutions have more to do with my homemaking goals than my health goals (although I think those two things go together for me).



Here are more goals for 2010, in no particular order:
  • Learn a new skill by taking cooking and crafting classes through Des Moines Public Schools Continuing Education.
  • Practice the art of bread-making.
  • Finally, finally, finish the quilt that I started three years ago.
  • Remodel one room in my century-old house. (Every room could use some sprucing up.)
  • Make better use of my small backyard garden through container gardening, etc.
  • Laugh more, stress less.

That last goal is especially important to me because I've been taking life way, way too seriously. Do you know what I mean?

I look forward to sharing my homemade journey with you all in 2010. Thanks for your support! It means so much to me!

4 comments:

  1. What a nice post. I like checking in on your homemade journey! You photos are really good. But...I don't know... that snow looks kinda perfect for those cross country skis:) Maybe we could do the bread baking together I want to better my fine art of bread baking too!

    It's so cold here too, we were just in the 50s today. It's supposed to last all week too, that is so unusual fo here. It's the talk of everyone at school :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I type this it is snowing, although we only have about an inch in London. I completely understand wanting to hibernate, this is the perfect excuse to get some R & R and then hit everything running in late January/February.

    When you get out of hibernation, you should try the Pear Pancakes from Martha Mondays - they were pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pear pancakes on your blog looked so good. I will have to try them sometime, when I can dig myself out of the house to go the grocery store. We're getting another 6 inches of snow tonight!

    I've joined a blog group that is baking recipes from the new Healthy Breads in 5 Minutes a Day. I've had good luck so far with the recipes from the Artison Breads in 5 Min. book. But Martha Mondays will still be my top priority :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great plans for the new year, Teresa! Good luck finishing your quilt, I accomplished one that has been in waiting for 8 years! My son was happy to finally have it finished on his bed. Love to see pictures when you finish!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails