Monday, April 1, 2013

Frosted sugar cookies


I wish I could say that a 9-year-old decorated these sugar cookies, but it was all me.  I guess that I don't have a hidden talent for cookie decorating!

My hubby gave me a cake decorating set for Christmas.  I finally gave it a try to make these Easter sugar cookies.  I found all the necessary decorating tools at Wal-Mart: cake frosting dye, blossom shaped cookie cutters.  The bunny and chick cookie cutters are from my own personal collection of antique cookie cutters.

For the cookies, I tried out the frosted sugar cookie recipe from the Two Chicks from the Sticks cookbook.  They turned out exactly as I hoped -- a nice, soft, cake-like cookie that was easy to roll and cut.  I would share the recipe, but I don't want to discourage anyone from buying the cookbook, which is excellent.  I'm thinking about baking my way through the entire cookbook as a fun project.

Can you tell which cookie my husband decorated?
 To get the full use out of my decorating set, I also tried to decorate a few cookies following these terrific instructions from one of my favorite blogs, Brown-Eyed Baker. I think they turned out pretty good for my first effort. And it was way easier to mix up the frosting than I thought it would be. 


Can you tell this is a bunny? It's about as artistic as I get!
I'm already looking forward to making cutout cookies for the next big holiday.  I'm thinking star cookies for the Fourth of July.  Can't wait for summer!

2 comments:

  1. I think you're cookies are adorable! Especially the chicks -- love those! I haven't decorated cookies in a few years, so I'm a little envious.

    Also love The Two Chicks from the Sticks cookbook. The chocolate cream pie is my favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a decorating talent either. I'm happy if it tastes good and we all can have a good laugh. Your cookies are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails