Monday, April 8, 2013

Iowa recipes: Egg salad


Just for fun over Easter weekend, I played around with food coloring and dyed Easter eggs.  I haven't done that since I was a kid, and it was just as much fun as I remembered!  Nothing fancy, just pretty pastel eggs.

I promptly refrigerated these hard-boiled eggs after I dyed them. Then, on Easter Sunday, I peeled the eggs and mixed up an egg salad recipe I found in an Iowa cookbook.  The recipe was a little different than the standard egg salad; it includes cream cheese in the mix, along with mayo.  The recipe also calls for smoky mustard, but I just used classic mustard and it turned out pretty darn tasty.  We ate the egg salad on leftover white rolls, and my husband kept coming back for more, so I'll take that as a good sign!

Sorry for the terrible photo.  I was too hungry to take a decent photo, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.


Here's the recipe, if you want to give it a try.

----------------------------------------------

Egg salad

  • 1 dozen hard-boiled eggs
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 C. mayo
  • 1-1/2 tsp. smoky mustard
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 C. celery, finely chopped
  • 2 T. chopped chives (I used chopped green onion)

Peel and chop hard-boiled eggs. Combine cream cheese, mayo, smokey mustard and sugar until smooth. Add the chives, celery and eggs. Toss together. Refrigerate until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails