Friday, December 7, 2012

Brown sugar cookies


Have you been busy baking Christmas cookies?  I haven't even started my holiday baking. I'm just not feeling it yet, I think because of the unseasonable warm weather.

I've been admiring all the beautiful cookie recipes on Pinterest right now, but for some reason, I couldn't get this recipe from the latest King Arthur Flour Baking Sheet newsletter out of my mind.  It's so simple, I had to see why the authors were raving about it.  And these brown sugar cookies were excellent.  I added toffee chips, and I'm glad I did.  These would make a great "lunchbox" cookie, if you're looking for a simple and sweet snack.  Here's the recipe, if you want to try it yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------

Brown Sugar Cookies
From King Arthur Flour's Baking Sheet

  • 3/4 C. unsalted butter
  • 1-1/4 C. brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2-1/4 C. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 C. bittersweet chocolate chips, optional
  • 1 C. toffee chips, optional

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets, or line with parchment.

In large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg; scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix into the butter and sugar until combined; scrape the bowl, mix for a few seconds more. Stir in chips if using.

Scoop by the tablespoon on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, just until the edges turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on the pan for crispy cookies; for chewier cookies, transfer to a rack. Yield: 3 dozen plain, 4 dozen with add-ins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails