Thursday, July 5, 2012

Trip to Traverse City, MI


A few weeks back, I went to a business meeting in Traverse City, MI.  My boss kept telling me that I would love visiting Northern Michigan, but to be honest, I was hesitant to go.  It's never fun to travel by myself.  And work trips are never as much fun as a real vacation.  I had only a few hours free to travel on my own, so I rented a car and drove to the famous sand dunes.

The first stop was the visitor's center to get a map.


The park ranger recommended that I take the scenic loop to see the best views of Lake Michigan.  Let me tell you, this prairie girl felt a little claustrophobic driving in the forest.  But it was gorgeous. 



 There were more than a dozen scenic outlooks to stop and explore and take photos.



I noticed one spot with a dozen cars parked, but I couldn't see what people had stopped for.  I followed the crowd and discovered this amazing view of Lake Michigan.



There was sand, sand everywhere. And it was so windy, the grains of sand were pelting our faces and bare legs!  Little kids were yelping, "Ouch, it hurts!"  Needless to say, I didn't stick around for long.  I got a few good pictures, though, and a good idea of what it would feel like in a sand storm!






I discovered one more (windy) scenic view on my way out of the park.


Then I drove to my destination - the sand climb!  It's a giant hill of sand in the middle of nowhere.  It was like a big sandbox for kids and adults alike.  And the climb was straight up!  Boy, did my calf muscles get a work out!





This guy was smart and brought poles for climbing!

This grandma was determined to climb the sand dunes -- on her hands and knees!
I keep telling all my friends that they have to take their kids to the Michigan sand dunes.  It was such a great family destination, and I hope to return someday -- but not for work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails