Saturday, July 14, 2012

Iowa recipe: Honey peanut butter bars


When I was at the Iowa State Fair last year, I picked up a recipe brochure from the Iowa Honey Producers Association booth.  This recipe, from the 2011 Iowa Honey Queen Ellie Johnson, is very kid-friendly and easy to make.  The Honey Queen (yes, that's her real title), says her grandma used to make these bars when she stopped to visit.

I couldn't stop eating these bars, I loved them so much.  And with the Cheerios, honey and peanut butter, I think they make a good snack for adults, too, after a work out.  My husband, however, wasn't a big fan of these bars because he doesn't like Cheerios.  (I think his mom fed him too many sugar-free cereals as a kid.)

Give this recipe a try, and be sure to use local honey, if possible.  Let's support those beekeepers out there!

-----------------------------------------------------

Honey Peanut Butter Bars
From the 2011 Iowa Honey Queen
  • 3 C. miniature marshmallows
  • 2 T. butter or margarine

Microwave on high for one minute, then add:
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 C. peanut butter
  • 1/2 C. honey
Microwave on high 1 minute. Mix in 4 C. or more Cheerios cereal

Spread and pat lightly in an oiled 9x13-inch pan. Cut in bars when cool.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I felt like I really need to leave a comment, even though I have nothing important to say... :) So, I found your blog somehow and now I've just been going through it for the last couple of hours. I'd really love to try some of your recipes, but well - I'm not going to find some of the key ingredients since I'm living as far away from The U.S. as Finland. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I really love your blog & now you have one more reader abroad!

    - Anette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks so much. Always happy to have a new reader!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails