Friday, July 20, 2012

Cherry cobbler


Iowa got hit by a late frost after an unusually warm spring this year. So my favorite U-Pick farm didn't have any cherries for sale this summer. ("The blossoms just fell off the trees," the farmer told me.)

I was bummed that I wouldn't be able to pick pie cherries this year.  But a few weeks ago, I found frozen tart cherries on sale at my local Fareway grocery store.  I stocked up and bought several bags.  Then I came home and made cherry cobbler.


I decided to use my favorite rhubarb crisp recipe, substituting with cherries instead.  It turned out pretty good for my first-ever attempt -- although my photos don't really show it off well.


I was trying to re-create the famous spoon and cherry outdoor sculpture in Minneapolis :)


Someday, I hope to plant a couple cherry trees on my sister's acreage, since it seems like the season is so short.  Then I won't have to "fight" the other cherry lovers at the U-Pick farm. Those cherries always go fast!  Are you a cherry fan?  Do you have a favorite cherry recipe?  I'm always looking for more ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I love cherrie! Our oldest son is working in Utah at a cherry processing plant earning money for school. They process cherries to be dried and sold at places like Trader Joes. That cherry cobbler looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails