Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Garden update: January 2012


Yep.  That's right.  I'm sharing a garden update -- in January!  We've been snowless here in central Iowa, and it's been wonderful!  I actually went for a bike ride on Christmas day.  No snow or ice, plus mild temperatures, have made for a memorable holiday season.

As you can see from the photo above, the spinach I planted in late August is a little frost-bitten, but still green.  I'm betting that even after we get a blanket of snow (yes, the snow will eventually arrive) that the spinach will start growing again when the temperatures warm up in the spring.  Spinach is very cold tolerant, and it's the first thing to pop up from my garden in April.

Here's a wider view of my backyard.  Can you believe the grass looks green in January?


A closer look at my perennial garden. Looks a little messy because I thought it would be covered with snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails