Saturday, April 30, 2011

Applesauce oatmeal muffins


Are you a "sugar in the morning" type of person?  I certainly am.  I'm always craving something sweet when I get out of bed in the morning.  But I also try to make breakfast my healthiest meal, since it sets the course for good eating choices throughout the day.

I think muffins are the perfect package of sweet and healthy. And one muffin (in a regular size tin) offers instant portion control.  I like to bake up a batch of muffins on the weekend, then keep them in the freezer, so I'm not tempted to eat the entire batch at once. When breakfast time rolls around, I just take a muffin out the freezer, then pop it in the microwave for 20 seconds.  Instant breakfast!


A thoughtful co-worker passed along a recent clipping from the Omaha World Herald that featured reader-submitted muffin recipes.  Over the next few weeks, I'm going to try these recipes out for myself and share them with you. Because we all deserve a sweet start to the day!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins
From Omaha World Herald
  • 1/2 C. butter (1 stick)
  • 3/4 C. brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 C. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 C. applesauce
  • 1/2 C. raisins
  • 1 C. quick cook oatmeal
  • 1/2 C. nuts
Cream butter, sugar and egg until fluffy; mix dry ingredients and add alternately with applesauce.  Add raisins, oatmeal and nuts.  Mix well. Spoon into 12 paper-lined muffin cups.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

Feel free to add dried cranberries, chopped dates or even chopped apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails