Sunday, April 24, 2011

Not according to plans

Happy Easter, everyone!  I'm enjoying the day here at home with my hubby.  For weeks, I've been planning my Easter day menu.  I went out and bought the best ham I could find.  I decided to baste the ham with a glaze made from my homemade apricot jam, which I tried last year to great success.  Unfortunately, I left the ham in the oven a little too long, and I ended up burning the apricot glaze on the ham.  I'll spare you the picture -- it wasn't pretty. 

I also tried my first-ever attempt at deviled eggs.  They looked pretty, but didn't taste all the great.  So I'll spare you that recipe, as well.


My garden plans also have been on hold.  We've had every-other-day rain showers for the last couple weeks, and temperatures dipped into the low 30s earlier this week.  Needless to say, the seeds I planted in early April just aren't growing.

And if the weather wasn't challenging enough, I'm also battling the rabbits.  The little buggers have already eaten the cauliflower and broccoli plants in my garden, except for one I managed to save with a make-shift cage. 



Unbelieveably, the rabbits have also eaten my tulip bulbs.  I've been planting tulips for a couple years now, and I've never seen a rabbit eat the leaves off a tulip.  Thankfully, the rabbits haven't touched my mini-tulips, so there's a little early season color to brighten up my garden.



Oh, and I probably shouldn't mention this -- it even makes me quesy, but we've also been overwhelmed by garter snakes that have taken residence underneath our backporch.  Needless to say, it makes me a little nervous to be out in the garden, knowing that a snake might cross my path.

So it's been an odd couple weeks -- between the weather and the wildlife.  I'm hoping things turn around and go my way again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails