Monday, June 10, 2013

Iowa recipe: Rhubarb Dream Bars


Wish I would have taken a better photo of these rhubarb dream bars.  But I barely remembered to take the photo before we gobbled them all up!

One of my Facebook friends, who is a farmer, posted this recipe for rhubarb dream bars. She said that she brought these bars to her husband and the guys out in the field this spring, while they were planting corn, and they ended up eating the whole pan.  With that rave review, I had to try them myself!

What's great about these bars is I had all the ingredients on hand.  I grow quite a bit of rhubarb in my backyard, so I'm always looking for new recipes to use it up. Seriously, one of the reasons we bought our house is because of the rhubarb plants growing by the garage!  I love rhubarb that much. And these bars are like a rhubarb version of lemon bars, which are my husband's favorite.

Here's the recipe if you want to give these a try at home.  As my friend said: "I'll bet you can't eat just one!"

 ---------------------------------------------

Rhubarb Dream Bars

  • 2 C. flour
  • 3/4 C. powdered sugar
  • 1 C. butter

Mix together and press in jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

  • 4 eggs
  • 2 C. sugar
  • 1/2 C. flour
  • 4 C. diced rhubarb

Beat together eggs, sugar and flour. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over baked crust. Bake an additional 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and cut into bars. Refrigerate any leftovers.


1 comment:

  1. I think these sound great. I just made rhubarb custard bars the other day and everyone liked them. Now I have something else to try. Lots of rhubarb this year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails