Thursday, June 13, 2013

Homemade vanilla ice cream


I inherited an old ice cream maker from my grandmother, a 1970s-style electric ice cream maker that's still in its original box.  I've had it stored in the closet for a couple years, but never have used it.  I wasn't sure if it would work; plus, I thought it would be hard to use, since I have to buy ice cream salt and crushed ice to freeze the ice cream mix.  

But over the Memorial Day weekend, I decided it was time to either try out the old ice cream machine, or throw it out.  So I bought ice cream salt and ice at my local Fareway grocery store, and I found a recipe for vanilla ice cream in one of  my favorite cookbooks, The Homemade Pantry.

The recipe is an egg-less, or Philadelphia-style, ice cream.  It was super easy to mix together, using just a few simple ingredients.  And to my delight, my grandma's old ice cream maker still works!  It ran perfectly, and now I can't wait to try out more ice cream recipes!

Here's the recipe, if you want to give it a try.  Also, please leave a comment if you have any advice for making ice cream at home.  I'd love to learn a few tips.

------------------------------------------------------------

Vanilla ice cream
From The Homemade Pantry

  • 2 C. heavy cream
  • 1/2 C. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 1 C. whole milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine 1 C. of heavy cream, sugar and salt in medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. 

Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, and scrape the seeds into the pan with a paring knife. Drop the bean into the pan. Remove from the heat, add the milk, remaining 1 C. cream and vanilla extract to the pan.  Stir to combine, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Remove the vanilla bean. Freeze the ice cream mix according to your ice cream maker's instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails