Tuesday, November 20, 2012

BH&G's Chocolate Chip Cookies


I like to visit the local bookstore on my lunch break, and I always tell myself not to buy another cooking magazine, but then I always end up buying one anyway.  I discovered the new Better Homes and Garden's Chocolate special interest publication, and there were so many fun recipes that I couldn't resist buying yet another magazine.

A few days later, I found these fancy chocolate chips at World Market, which I thought was a good excuse to try the BH&G's chocolate chip cookie recipe in the magazine.


It turns out that these chocolate chips were "super" because of their gigantic size.  I wasn't sure how many of these huge chips I could squeeze into each cookie. It turned out, quite a few.


This recipe makes a lot of cookies, which is great because I love to give away cookies to my friends and family.  How cute are these?


And I like how the recipe uses both butter (for flavor) and shortening (for texture).  Here's the recipe if you want to try them at home. Or better yet, pick up a copy of the BH&G's Chocolate magazine while it's still on the shelves for more great recipes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BH&G's chocolate chip cookies

  • 1/2 C. butter, softened
  • 1/3 C. shortening or vegetable oil
  • 1 C. packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 C. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2-3/4 C. all purpose flour
  • 1, 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces
  • 1-1/2 C. chopped walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts, toasted if desired (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until mixture is combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces and, if desired, nuts.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails