Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Great-grandma's coffee cake

Or at least I'm guessing that this is great-grandma's coffee cake.  I found this in a cookie-dough splattered recipe book that my mom received when she married my dad.  The book has several handwritten recipes from my grandma and possibly my great-grandma, who passsed away before I was born.

My mom told me that one of my great-grandmothers used to make coffee cake every morning.  Every morning!  Well, there were two handwritten coffee cake recipes in her book, so I just picked the one that appealed to me.

My husband gave this recipe a thumbs-up.  I hope you enjoy it, too.  I may not have time to make this every morning, but I imagine I'll be making this coffee cake again soon.


Quick Coffee Cake
  • 1/2 C. shortening
  • 2 C. sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 3 C. flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 C. milk
 Combine shortening and sugar. Mix all.

  • 1 C. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 C. nuts, chopped
Put 1/2 of batter in pan. Add 1/2 of the filling. Top with another layer of batter, then remaining filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until brown and springs back when touched with finger.


  1. This is such a heady experience to be cooking from your great grandmother's recipes; I am surprised they were already using sugar; in Lebanon in these days, they used grape molasses.

  2. I couldn't believe how much sugar this recipe calls for. And 4 eggs! I think if I make this again I'll cut back on both. I've heard that a lot of old recipes have more sugar than is actually needed to maintain the sweetness. I've never heard of grape molasses, but it sounds wonderful. Wonder if I could find it in a store around here? There are some great international grocery stores in Des Moines.

  3. This looks like a good old-fashioned coffee cake. I am sure it's delicious.


Related Posts with Thumbnails