Thursday, June 21, 2012

Trip to the Spam Museum


I've driven past the Interstate exit for the Spam Museum in Austin, Minn., more times than I can count, but I never made time to visit.  Well, I changed that on my last trip through Austin, Minn.  I stopped to see the famous Spam Museum.


Outside the museum was this incredible farmer statue.  It made me think of my grandpa, who raised quite a few pigs that likely added up as Spam.  (Our home farm is just 25 miles from Austin.)  Look at the curly tails on the pigs!


I was greeted at the door by a friendly volunteer, who gave me a few Spam recipes and ushered me in to watch a 15-minute movie about all things Spam.  The actual museum wasn't very large, but it featured the interesting history of the Hormel family who founded the company and Spam's rise to fame during World War II.



The gift shop at the Spam Museum offers all 17 different varieties of Spam, including the limited edition jalapeno flavor.  I sampled the original and turkey Spam.  The original was my favorite.


The Spam Museum was a fun little diversion along my 4-hour road trip to Wisconsin.  Are you a fan of Spam?  Do you have a favorite Spam recipe?  I've been drooling over this Hawaiian Spam fried recipe recipe and think I might just have to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails