Friday, June 15, 2012

Iowa recipes: Strawberry pie


Here it is!   I'm sharing with you the pie recipe I used to make my first-ever strawberry pie.  I was afraid that the pie filling would turn out runny, but it actually set up near perfectly.  And the Iowa-grown strawberries were so sweet in this pie!  You know how the strawberries at the grocery store can be kind of "hard" sometimes.  Well, these U-Pick strawberries were soft and super ripe.  This strawberry pie was exactly what I was craving for a spring dessert!

The pie filling set up perfectly; it wasn't runny or liquidy.

Fresh whipped cream is a necessity with strawberries.
I found this same strawberry pie recipe in several of my Iowa church cookbooks.  Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------

Iowa Strawberry Pie

  • 1 baked pie shell
  • 1-1/2 pints strawberries, cleaned


Glaze: 
  • 3 T. cornstarch
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 1 C. water
  • 3 T. corn syrup
  • 1 small package strawberry jello

Mix cornstarch and sugar together, then add water and syrup. Boil and then add the strawberry Jell-O. Cool. Mix with berries and put in baked pie shell. Refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails