Sunday, January 30, 2011

Church cookbook recipe: Scotcheroos


At almost every Iowa potluck dinner or party, you're likely to find a pan of scotcheroos (also known as Oh Henry bars, or Special K bars in some church cookbooks).  Whenever we have an office party, I bring these bars, and they're usually gone by 10 a.m.  I make two batches at a time -- one for work and one for my husband.  They are his favorite bar.

I'm not sure if these bars are a Midwestern thing, or if they are common around the country.  But they are so, so good.  They are also very rich, so be sure to cut them small for a party.

I tried a slightly different scotcheroo recipe than I typically make, and the chocolate layer on top was very thick, maybe a little too thick.  So if you don't mind a lot of chocolate, then go ahead and make this recipe as is.  Next time, I think I will halve the recipe for the chocolate layer.

These bars would be perfect for a Super Bowl party.  Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------

Scotcheroos
  • 1 C. corn syrup (light or dark)
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 1 C. chunky peanut butter
  • 4 C. Special K cereal
  • 1 (6 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips
  • 1 (6 oz.) pkg. butterscotch chips 
Melt first 3 ingredients at low heat, pour over cereal and mix.  Press into buttered 9x13-inch pan. Cool slightly.  Melt chips and butter together in dobule boiler. Spread over cereal mixture. Cool and cut into small bars.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love these my great grandma makes these at Christmas because I'm allergic to eggs and these don't have them in it i can't eat these anymore because they have wheat and I'm allergic to wheat but these taste awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails