Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Fall fruit coleslaw


Hello, everyone!  I'm in the middle of another super busy week, but it's a good kind of busy.  I feel wonderfully productive, until I come home, crash in front of the TV or computer and struggle to keep my eyes open the rest of the night.  These dark, cold nights are terrible for my energy levels, but great for my sleep.

Anyhow, getting back on subject, I wanted to share one of my new favorite recipes.  I've been trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet, so each weekend, I've been trying a new side dish.  I found a recipe for fall fruit coleslaw on the Hy-Vee website (a local grocery store chain) and decided to give it a try.  I'm always a little fearful of rejection whenever I introduce a new, out-of-the-ordinary recipe to my husband.  But he ended up liking this salad so much, he requested it for Thanksgiving instead of cranberry sauce.  (Why am I the only family member who love cranberries?)

I modified this recipe from the Hy-Vee version, which called for a bottled cole slaw dressing.  I mix up my own dressing using a recipe from one of my favorite church cookbooks.  But instead of using sugar, I add honey to the dressing.

I'm pretty proud of this salad, because I hardly ever stray from an original recipe.  I don't trust my kitchen instincts, I guess.  Please try this salad at home and let me know what you think.  Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------

Fall fruit coleslaw

- 1 bag of shredded cabbage coleslaw
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 cup apples, diced
- 1/2 C. honey
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 C. white or cider vinegar
- 1 C. salad oil
- 1 tsp. salt

Mix all ingrediets together and refrigerate until serving.  I prefer to let it sit in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails