Sunday, October 18, 2009

Martha Mondays: Potstickers

For this week's Martha Mondays challenge, I made the potstickers from the October issue of Everyday Food. This recipe reminded me of my quick trip to Beijing, China, a few years back for work. My first night in Beijing, the server prepared duck dumplings at our table. The dumplings were by far one of the best things I ate during the trip.

So I was looking forward to experimenting with won-ton wrappers. I made a special trip to a big-city grocery store to find the won-ton wrappers and fresh ginger for this recipe. Basically, I filled the won-tons with a mini ground-pork meatball, seasoned with soy sauce, ginger and chives. The assembly was so easy, and the potstickers looked great after a quick dip in boiling water. Yet disaster loomed...


When I fried up the potstickers in oil, they stuck to the bottom of the pan. Thought I had the oil hot enough to keep them from sticking, but I guess not. My husband and I still tried to eat them, and the ginger-pork combination was very good. I'm still a beginning cook, so I don't blame the recipe. I'm curious to see how this turned out for the other Martha Monday members. Thanks to Martha and Me for the unique project!

3 comments:

  1. I had the same issue at first Teresa, but then used more oil when frying and it seemed to be okay. They weren't as perfect as Martha's though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame they stuck so bad. They sound so tasty and now I wish I would have tried them. (I did the luminaries!)I'll have to do a Chinese night one evening and give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have a problem with sticking but then I didn't boil them first. I threw them in a hot non-stick pan that had a teaspoon of oil in it, added some water, covered, and steamed them for a few minutes. Only one stuck and lost its filling. I wonder why you had such bad luck with them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails