Saturday, October 6, 2012

Weekend Odds & Ends: Oct. 6


Hey everyone!  Thought I'd try something new and give a round-up of what I've been up to (and obsessing about) this week.  Here it goes:

1) Tonight we're expecting the first hard freeze of the fall.  I picked the last of the green tomatoes from my backyard garden last night.  Always a little sad to see the summer gardening season end, but I'm actually glad that I don't have to pick tomatoes every night anymore.  I've had an odd fruit fly infestation in my garden this year, and the little buggers are digging holes in most of my tomatoes, even before the fruit turns red! I'm hoping it's not the new species of fruit fly that I heard was recently discovered in Story County.

2) Oh yeah, did I mention it's cold outside?  Only supposed to reach 48 degrees tomorrow.  I'm moving my fitness routine indoors for the season.  I took a bootcamp class this week, and my arms are so sore from all those tricep dips!  Guess I need a little strength training in my life.

3) And speaking of creepy crawlies, I came home from my road trip last weekend to find that my husband had placed mousetraps all over the kitchen and living room.  He discovered that a mouse had crawled into his backpack and eaten his bag of trail mix.  Then he saw a mouse hiding in the living room.  My husband's secret weapon for catching mice? Peanut butter. And it worked again. The mouse is now out of my house :)

And here's a round-up of fall squash recipes I hope to try very soon. I plan to stop by the farmer's market tomorrow to load up my car with squash.


Autumn Vegetable Soup from Recipe Girl

Pumpkin coffee cake from Recipe Girl

Baked spaghetti squash with creamy roasted red pepper sauce from Two Peas and their Pod

Pumpkin cinnamon rolls from Smitten Kitchen


Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Teresa,
    We had an infestation of white flies on our tomatoes this year for the first time...because of the drought this year, I think.
    Maybe that's what you have had?
    We got a pretty good frost last night - not on Thursday night, however.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I bet they are white flies, now that you mention it. I'm hoping it's just because of the drought too, because I've never had so much insect damage to tomatoes in our garden. The "orange blossom" tomato plant I bought at the Ames farmers market did the best of them all -- no insect damage and lots of fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails