Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Iowa eats: Ice Cream, Bob's Dogs & Drive-Ins


I've been doing a lot of traveling the past couple weeks for work, and I've tried to stop at small-town Iowa drive-ins along the way.  It's one of the best perks of traveling in the summer!  

I stopped at the downtown Ames farmers market to try the peach ice cream from Sweet Treats.  I heard great things about this ice cream flavor, and it was amazing!  Every time I stop at Sweet Treats, I discover a new favorite flavor!  Sweet Treats also has an ice cream stand in the small town of Jewell in central Iowa.


I drove through Le Mars in northwest Iowa, so I swung by Bob's Drive-In and ordered a famous Bob's Dog for lunch.


A Bob's Dog is a locally-made hot dog with a Maid-Rite topping. My photo doesn't do it justice; it was so good!


The next day, I drove through Humboldt in central Iowa and stopped at the Backseat Dinner, a 1950s-style drive-in.  I was in the mood for something a little different, so I ordered a BBQ bacon turkey wrap, with BBQ ranch dressing.  I loved it! 

 





Yes, I stopped at one more drive-in this summer.  I ordered a "vegetable burger" at Stan's Drive-In in Osage. No, it's not a tofu burger.  It's a beef burger topped with tomato and lettuce.  I also ordered a root beer on the side.  My boss made fun in me for turning in the receipt -- the lunch only cost $3!


Have you stopped at a drive-in this summer? What's your favorite menu item?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails