Thursday, August 23, 2012

Foodie heaven: Urbandale Hy-Vee


We've had a lot of fancy grocery stores open up in the Des Moines area lately, but I was most excited about the grand opening of the new Hy-Vee in Urbandale last week. It's Hy-Vee's first concept store for testing out the latest grocery shopping trends. I visited the store on the first day it opened, and the store was packed full of shoppers. I didn't take many photos, because I was just trying to get out of the way of all the shopping carts.  But I couldn't believe the gorgeous produce section.

There were so many fruits I've never hear of before, including this gigantic "John fruit" from Mexico.  I got to sample it at the store, and it was wonderful -- like a super sweet melon.


The Urbandale Hy-Vee also has an amazing gourmet deli (you'll never have to cook again if just buy the meals from the deli!), a sushi bar, a gelato counter, a fresh seafood counter (with live lobsters!) and a huge cheese counter. But my favorite was the bulk food section. The store has a machine that processes peanuts and almonds into butters!  I came home with fresh-made almond butter, and I've been snacking on it with apple slices all week.


The new Hy-Vee store is a little out of my way, but I'm sure I'll be visiting the store at least once a month just to see what's new.  Do you have a favorite grocery store for foodie finds?  I'm also a huge fan of Trader Joe's, but it's also a little out of my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails