Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Trip to the Iowa State Fair


It was a busy weekend for me -- first, a trip to the Ames straw poll, and then the next day, a visit to the Iowa State Fair with my sister.  We were both feeling a little under the weather, trying to get over summer colds.  So I didn't take many photos.  But I have a few highlights to share with you.

This year's blue-ribbon winner for non-traditional sweet roll was a bacon sticky roll!  Can you see the chunks of bacon?


One of my favorite exhibits was "Can-struction," sculptures made by stacking donated canned goods.  There was a canned-good butter cow and market-weight hog.



We hopped over to the Iowa lamb food stand for a lamb burger (my husband's favorite).


Then we checked out the pampered show pigs, who were relaxing in the breeze of the fans blowing through the swine barn.


 We saw blue-ribbon potatoes.

 And waited in a huge line to see the famous butter cow.


The fair was celebrating the 100th anniversary of the butter cow by asking local organizations to paint mini-butter cows, which were placed all over the fair grounds.  This was one of my favorites.


I came home with a few pieces of fresh saltwater taffy.


OK. Several pieces of taffy.


And I brought home the famous chocolate chip cookies in a cup.  Admittedly, this cup was full when I bought it.  I don't know where the cookies disappeared to...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails