Saturday, June 11, 2011

Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packet

Once again, I meant to post this recipe last night.  But I got so caught up in trying to teach myself how to play Google guitar that I forgot to blog.  Did you get a chance to play the Google guitar?  I couldn't stop trying to figure out new songs to play on it.  It was absolutely genius!

To keep myself fueled to play Google guitar, or whatever I'm in to at the moment, I like to eat a healthy breakfast.  However, my commute to work doesn't give me a lot of time in the morning to make and eat breakfast.  One of my favorite go-to breakfasts is an instant oatmeal packet. I mix the oatmeal with milk, then pop in the microwave. When it's done, I add a tablespoon of peanut butter and a few banana slices.  It's a great, filling breakfast that I look forward to when I get out of bed in the morning.


But for some reason, I don't like the instant oatmeal packets as much as I used to.  I've started noticing the "artificial" ingredients and flavors in those little packets.  Not that I have anything against it; they're a good, quick breakfast, and I often buy the packets when they are on sale.  But when I have time, I also like to mix up my own oatmeal packets, using this recipe I found from Iowa State University Extension.

I've tried all the recipes listed and recommend them all.  I like to add the dried apples that my husband makes in our food dehydrater whenever apples are on sale.  Sometimes, I alter the recipe and just use 1/3 C. of oatmeal and add 2/3 C. of milk, because the servings are pretty filling.

Hope these oatmeal packets brighten up your mornings, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails