Sunday, March 28, 2010

Martha Mondays: Silk-dyed Easter eggs


Hello everyone!  I had the opportunity to pick this week's Martha Mondays project.  I thought it would be fun to try one of Martha's wonderful Easter egg creations featured on her Web site.  In particular, I've been wanting to try her famous silk-dyed Easter eggs.  I saw this project featured on her TV show last year, and it looked super easy.  Plus, you don't have to work with the messy dyes.

I cut up an old silk scarf that I never wear anymore.  I wrapped it around the egg, then wrapped a piece of an old white cotton sheet around the silk.  Then I boiled the eggs for 40 minutes, with a little vinegar added to the water.

When the eggs cooled, I unwrapped the silk.  I hoped for the best, but I'm afraid my eggs didn't quite turn out.  Maybe it was the scarf, or maybe I didn't let the eggs simmer long enough. 



I would like to try this project again next year with another silk scarf or tie to see if it would work better.  It's such a simple way to dye eggs.  Thanks to Martha and Me for letting me pick this project this week.

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty, I like the subtle colors. I did see her do these on her show. I think we should keep in mind what silk patterns would work and save it for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Lyndsey I like the subtle colours. Was the scarf quite colourful when you started out? This was a good pick, each of us seem to have tried something different so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to make these using old silk ties she bought at the Salvation Army store just for this project. I think she had the best luck with dark-colored ties. They're beautiful even when pale in color, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! I'm going to see if I can find silk ties at our local Goodwill. Still can't believe this actually works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! And they reminds me of when we used natual dyes for Easter Eggs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails