Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tropical twist


Tried a new bread recipe tonight. Found this one in the King Arthur Flour Baking Sheet newsletter. I've fallen in love with the King Arthur Flour folks and their wonderful recipes. In their summer newsletter, King Arthur featured blue-ribbon bread recipes from the 2008 Iowa State Fair. I'm a big fan of the Iowa State Fair cookbooks, so the article immediately caught my eye. The first recipe I tried tonight was pineapple upside down rolls. They are like cinnamon rolls, only with a pineapple/coconut/brown sugar topping, instead frosting.

The rolls turned out pretty good -- not great. They were a little dry for my liking, and the topping was a little skimpy. But the flavor combo was fun, especially for a pineapple fan like me.

Earlier this week, I had a day off of work. I was waiting for the cable guy to show up, so I decided to fill some time by making apple butter from the locally grown apples I bought at Fareway. It was my first time making apple butter, and I really enjoyed the whole process. But it took forever! I spent 7-1/2 hours in the kitchen just to can 10 small jars of apple butter. Thankfully, the apple butter turned out great, so it half-way justified the time. Better than watching daytime TV shows all day, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails