Tuesday, June 12, 2012

U-Pick Strawberries


Strawberry season arrived two weeks earlier this year.  I took a vacation day from work to spend a morning picking strawberries at Berry Patch Farm in Nevada, Iowa.  I arrived right when the farm opened at 8 a.m., but there were already several families out in the fields.


I thought that it would be slim pickings because it was only the first week of strawberry season, but I was surprised to find several large, ripe strawberries just waiting to be picked.


I ended up picking 10 pounds (!) of strawberries. Then I spent the afternoon making strawberry jam, pie and vinegar.  I'll share the recipes with you all later this week.


Do you like to pick strawberries in the summer? What's your favorite strawberry recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails