Saturday, June 9, 2012

Iowa recipes: Baked beans & pulled pork


I love the summer -- and not just for the beautiful weather.  I love a good summer barbecue!  And Iowa farmers raise the best beef and pork in the world, and it's all available at my local grocery store.

I thought I'd share with you my favorite baked bean recipe, which I found in the most recent Iowa Master Farm Homemakers cookbook.  For the pulled pork, I tried out a recipe from my favorite Iowa BBQ sauce company, Cookie's. We use Cookie's flavor enhancer and seasoning all the time on chicken and pork. 

What's your favorite summertime cookout foods?  I always enjoy a good potato salad, but I'm still trying to figure out my grandma's old recipe. She didn't use any measurements; she just went by taste, and I'm having trouble re-creating it.

Here's the recipe for the baked beans.  Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------

Really Good Baked Beans

  • 5 strips bacon
  • 1/4 to 1/2 chopped onions
  • 1 (2 lb.) can pork and beans
  • 3/4 C. brown sugar
  • 1/4 C. catsup
  • 1/4 C. barbecue sauce
  • 3/4 T. Worchestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. chopped garlic

Saute bacon until nearly done, and add chopped onion. Continue cooking until onions are soft. Drain off most of fat. Put brown sugar, catsup, barbecue sauce, Worchestershire sauce and chopped garlic in pan, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add pork and beans, bacon and onion; combine. Put into baking dish, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails