Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Western Iowa road trip


One of the perks of my job is that I get to escape the office occasionally and travel the state.  A few weeks ago, I took a long road trip up to northwest Iowa.  I spent about 8 hours on the road all together.  To keep from getting bored, I took a few goofy photos along the way so you could ride along.

I keep my little Iowa mascot with me in the car when I'm traveling. I call him Kernel.


I've been trying to snack a little healthier when I'm on the road, which means no chips or candy.  Lately, I've been really digging the single-serve milk bottles from Des Moines-based AE Dairy.  Chocolate milk always hits the spot.


When I swung through the town of Pocahontas,  I snapped this photo through my car window.

Pocahontas statue in Pocahontas, Iowa
Whenever I'm on the road, I don't have a lot of time to sit down and eat lunch.  My favorite places to stop are Subway, Culver's (I love butter burgers!) and Pizza Ranch.  I found this Pizza Ranch in downtown Primghar.


After four hours, I finally reached my destination -- a strawberry farm. The plants were blooming, and the strawberries should be ready to pick in early June.


Then I turned around and took the long way home, with blue sky and corn fields as far as the eye can see.


I always wish I had more time to sight-see when I travel for work.  But I like to be home by suppertime so I can catch up with my husband and get ready for another day at the office. 

Do you have any road trip essentials?  I always pack granola bars and apples whenever I'm on the road, so I don't get tempted to buy candy bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails