Friday, May 25, 2012

May 2012: Odds & ends


It's been another busy month, and I can't believe Memorial Day weekend is already here.  Thought I'd share a few of my latest discoveries.

The Ames Main Street farmers market opened in early May.  I bought a few herb and tomato plants from the local vendors.  It's a nice farmers market close to home, and I don't have to fight all the crowds at the Des Moines farmers market.  (Have you been to the Des Moines farmers market lately?  I hear the crowds have been crazy big this year.)


Another plus: My favorite ice cream booth from the Des Moines farmers markets, Sweet Treats, also has a stand at the Ames farmers market.  I ordered one of my favorites flavors, maple pecan.  


I was shopping for groceries at Hy-Vee in West Des Moines recently, and I found these amazing Milton Creamery cheese curds for sale at the deli counter.  The sign said that the cheese curds are only delivered to the store once a month, so I was lucky to snag them.  These cheese curds are so fresh, they squeak when you chew them!


I picked up another favorite at the local Fareway grocery store: DoBiz cookie dough. Back when I was a freshman at Iowa State, my friends and I would make regular trips to the DoBiz cookie shop in Campustown. The cookie shop is gone, but you can still find the cookie dough at Hy-Vee and Fareway stores in the Ames/Des Moines area. Sometimes it's nice to make cookies without making a mess in the kitchen!


In my garden, I picked the last of the radishes before the weather turned hot and dry.  I picked them small because the weather turned dry and hot, and the radishes were already starting to go to seed.


We've also been enjoying salads with our homegrown lettuce and spring onions. I'm so glad I bought this Oxo salad spinner last year.  The lettuce stays fresh for a really long time when left in the spinner and placed in the fridge.


The irises have stopped blooming now, but they were pretty while they lasted.


I like to get up early on the weekends and go for a long run or bike ride, then eat a big breakfast that fills me up all day.  My husband made the best breakfast the other day; I just had to take a picture.  Love the toast with my homemade Concord grape jelly.


One last garden photo:  The pink lady peonies I bought at the Iowa Arboretum last year bloomed this spring, and they were even prettier than I imagined!


Now I'm looking forward to a long Memorial Day weekend.  Hope you enjoy the holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails