Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Grandma's refrigerator pickles


I've been holding out on you guys. I've been meaning to share my grandma's refrigerator pickle recipe, but kept putting it off.

This is my go-to recipe when the cucumbers are plentiful in my garden. My grandma shared it with me after I just graduated from college and was learning to cook on my own. She used the giant cucumbers that my grandpa grew from an old hog lot he turned into a garden. Old hog manure turned out to be excellent fertilizer!

Here's the recipe, if you want to give it a try. Enjoy!

------------------------------

Grandma's refrigerator pickles

4 cups sugar
4 cups vinegar
1/2 cups salt
1-1/3 tsp. mustard seed
3 onions, sliced
Cucumbers to fill a gallon jar

Mix all ingredients together. This syrup is cold. Keep in refrigerator for five days, then they are ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails