Thursday, July 4, 2013

My grandma's fancy plates


I inherited these fancy blue plates from my grandmother.  My mom told me that she remembers how these plates were quite a big deal at the time (maybe the '50s or '60s?). My grandmother actually bought herself a set after her mom got these dishes.  They would use them whenever they had friends over for lunches or afternoon get-togethers, which probably involved a game of cards, because my grandparents loved to play cards.

A few weeks ago, one of my co-workers made cucumber sandwiches for a bridal shower for another co-worker.  I thought it would be fun to unpack these blue plates and put together a little tea party for my sister when she came to visit.  While these aren't the prettiest plates, they do look nice when they are covered by tiny sandwiches.


By the way, I made the cucumber sandwiches with a tiny loaf of rye bread (you can find it in the bread aisle), vegetable cream cheese spread, cucumbers and then sprinkled with dill. Very easy and quick to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails