Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Iowa sweets: Dutch Oven Bakery, Boone


When I was a kid, my mom would occasionally treat my sister and I with a trip to the bakery on Main Street on Saturday mornings.  We each got to pick out two doughnuts (oh, I wish I still had that kind of metabolism!), plus a pint of chocolate milk to wash it down with.  The bakery closed a few years later, but I still love a good doughnut. I try not to indulge too often anymore, especially now that doughnuts are sold at every gas station and grocery store.

But I still like to treat myself with a trip to the closest bakery, the Dutch Oven Bakery in Boone, a couple times a year. And since I'm treating myself, I choose the biggest pastry I can find, and don't feel guilty about it at all!

The Dutch Oven Bakery in downtown Boone.

My latest pick was a gorgeous rose-shaped pastry called a raspberry rosette.  It was a glazed doughnut with a raspberry jam-like coating to give it a pink color. My photo isn't the best, but it was a large doughnut, and it was worth every calorie!


Do you have a favorite bakery, or a favorite pastry?  Would love to learn about more bakeries here in Iowa or elsewhere.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I wish I lived near Boone to give this bakery a try. Have you every been to Pedretti's Bakery in Elkader? It's family owned now into it's third generation I believe. The donuts will melt in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, y'all! Next time you're going for your 'special treats', give a holler-- I WANT TO GO ALONG!!!! Yes, go along with you to the bakery in Boone AND to the one in Elkader!!! Here's a link to a very short video about something that is SO famous/successful in this neck of Wisconsin-- the video is from 2010. By 2009, the guy was already selling 12,000 of these PACZKI pastries on just 'Fat Tuesday' alone (the DAY before Lent begins)-- this year, it will be February 21st!! They fill orders (large orders) from all around. They ARE good......... SO GOOD! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FlPNdu-Qg Doris

    ReplyDelete
  3. dutchovenbakeryiowa@gmail.comOctober 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

    I am so happy that you visited our bakery! If you are ever in Boone again, please stop in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails