Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Whole-wheat rolls (using Iowa-grown wheat)


A few weeks ago, I visited Carlson Christmas tree farm near Hampton in northern Iowa.  I met Cathy Carlson, who started the tree farm with her husband 25 years ago.  In addition to selling Christmas trees, Cathy also runs her own home-based bakery.  You can find Cathy's baked goods at Dudley's Corner, the gas station along Interstate 35 off the Hampton (Highway 3) exit.  She gave me these blondie bars to take home to my husband, which he quickly devoured, of course.


Cathy also gave me a sample of her home-grown whole wheat flour.  That's right -- in addition to her baking business, Cathy also grows 6-1/2 acres of wheat.  She sells the wheat either as milled flour or unmilled, if you prefer to mill the wheat yourself.  (I would love to get a grain mill someday.)


The whole wheat looked gorgeous coming out of the bag, very soft and caramel-colored.


As soon as I got home, I baked up Cathy's recipe for 60 minute whole wheat rolls.  Actually, these rolls took me a couple hours to make.  I live in a drafty house, so I find it difficult to get bread to rise quickly.  Also, the recipe called for quick-rise yeast, which I didn't have on hand. I just used the Red Star active dry yeast I keep in my freezer at all times.

These rolls turns out great! They were very soft and tender for a whole wheat roll.  I drizzled them with honey, which was an excellent decision.  My husband also gave these rolls a try, but he didn't like them as well as the white rolls I typically bake.  He's just not a big fan of whole wheat anything, but I'm trying to convert him since whole wheat is a more nutritious choice.



Here's Cathy's recipe for 60-minute whole wheat rolls.  Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cathy's 60 Minute Rolls

  • 2 C. whole wheat flour
  • 2-1/2 C. of unsifted white flour (Cathy's note: I mix the flours together before I start to make the recipe)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbls. sugar
  • 2 packages Fleishmann's Active Dry Yeast (Cathy's note: I recommend rapid rise yeast)
  • 1 C. milk
  • 1/2 C. water
  • 1/4 C. margarine

Combine milk, water and margarine in a saucepan.  Heat over low heat until liquid is very warm (120 degrees). Margarine doesn't need to be melted.

In a large bowl, measure 1-1/2 C. of flour, then sugar, salt and yeast.  Mix thoroughly and gradually add the heated ingredients.  Beat 2 minutes at a medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.  Add 1/2 C. of flour.  Beat at high speed.  Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.

Turn onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl cover and let rise for 15 to 20 minutes.  Make your favorite rolls.

Cover and let rise in a warm place free from draft, 15 to 20 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails