Saturday, November 5, 2011

Iowa recipes: Caramel Apple Bars


Nope, I'm not done with apple recipes yet.  I made these caramel apple bars for my husband the other day, and he loved them!  This recipe is a keeper.

I found the recipe for caramel apple bars in an Iowa ag newspaper. Just goes to show, farm women know how to bake!


These bars actually turned out more like a coffee cake.  My favorite part was pouring the caramel sauce on top, of course.


My husband loved the coconut on top of these bars.  Who knew that apple and coconut were a perfect pairing?


Here's the recipe if you want to give them a try.  Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------

Caramel apple bars

  • 1 C. pecans, chopped
  • 2/3 C. brown sugar
  • 1 C. coconut
  • 2-1/2 C. flour
  • 1-1/2 C. sugar
  • 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C. evaporated milk
  • 1/3 C. water
  • 2 C. apples, peeled and finely shredded or chopped


Topping:
  • 2/3 C. brown sugar
  • 1/2 C. evaporated milk
  • 4 Tbls. butter, softened

Combine pecans, brown sugar and coconut in bowl and set aside. In mixing bowl, combine the next six ingredients.  In a small bowls, combine egg, milk, water and apples. Add to flour mixture. Mix well. Pour into a greased 10x15-inch pan and sprinkle with nut mixture. Bake 40 to 45 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a heavy saucepan, combine topping ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens slightly, about 8 minutes. Poke holes with fork in top of hot bars. Immediately spoon topping over bars. Cool.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely scrumptious! I love how it has pecans and coconut in it. I will be trying it this week. Thank you for the recipe. I love your blog and am following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bars are really good. Glad you found my blog! Always like new followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious...I printed it off immediately! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails