Sunday, August 15, 2010

Iowa road trip: Davenport


I've been lucky to do quite a bit of traveling the last couple weeks for work to places I've never seen before in the state.  Last week, I found myself in downtown Davenport, along the Mississippi River.

Across the street from the conference center, an old theater has been restored into a community college.





Just a few blocks away, I discovered the River Music Museum.  There was a coffee shop and restaurant on the first floor and a few historic displays on the second floor of this beautiful building.



To be honest, the museum was a little empty.  There weren't many items on display.  But I made sure to take pictures of the Jimmy Hendrix display for my husband, who is a huge fan.  The display featured a "wah-wah" pedal the Hendrix may have left behind at a performance in Davenport.







Fun but strange fact:  My husband used to "woo" me back in college by showing off how his guitar sounded when he used the wah-wah pedal.  He's such a rock star!

Before I left, I wanted to see if I could find any barges floating down the Mississippi River.  But I didn't get there at the right time.



Wish I could have stayed longer, but it was a long drive home.  Beautiful day for a road trip, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails