Friday, July 9, 2010

Cookie Friday: Citrus sandwich cookies


Happy Cookie Friday, everyone!  Sorry this post is so late.  And sorry, this post is going to be short.  I was on the road until late last night, worked a 15-hour day, then woke up early for work this morning.  Plus, I had to skip my lunch break today, because a person who promised to call me back at noon never did, and I didn't want to leave my desk in case she did call.  Urrgh!  So frustrating!

Anyhow, I'm super tired tonight. So excuse my typos.  I recently squeezed in some time to bake up a new cookie recipe, Citrus Sandwich Cookies from the Summer 2010 edition of King Arthur Flour's Baking Sheet.  (Such a great source for baking inspiration.)



These cookies were so much fun to bake, and so easy!  I didn't need to refrigerate the dough overnight, so I could get my sugar fix immediately.  I had to substitute quite a few ingredients (such as lemon powder?) because I knew they weren't available at our small-town grocery store.

I wasn't sure if my husband would like these cookies, but he ended up eating nearly all of them himself.  He even told me I should make these again for Christmas cookie swaps, because they will stand out from the other cookies people typically bring.  I love it when my husband tells me to make a recipe again!  I always take it as a compliment.

Enjoy!


--------------------------------------------

Citrus Sandwich Cookies
Adapted from King Arthur Flour's Baking Sheet
  • 1/2 C. unsalted butter, soft
  • 3/4 C. sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 Tbl. grated citrus zest
  • 1 Tbl. orange juice (I used lemon juice)
  • 1-1/2 C. King Arthur's Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 C. sugar (for dredging)
Filling:
  • 1 pkg. (3 ounces) cream cheese
  • 1/4 C. vegetable shortening
  • 3 C. confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1 Tbl. citrus zest
  • 1 to 2 tsp. citrus juice, as needed

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets, or line with parchment. In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar; beat in egg, citrus zest of your choice and orange juice. Scrape the bowl and mix in four, baking powder and salt. Scoop by teaspoonful and roll in sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets, and press flat with the bottom of a glass dipped in the sugar. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, just until the edges turn light brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.

For the filling: Cream the cream cheese and shortening together until fluffy. And the confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time. Beat in the zest. Add juice as needed until the filling is a spreadable consitency; remember to keep it pretty stiff (about the consistency of PlayDoh).

To assemble: Spread a tablespoon of filling on the bottom of one wafer cookie; press another cookie on top of the filling, bottom down. Yield: 40 wafers, enough for 20 sandwich cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails