Sunday, February 6, 2011

When life gives you lemons


I've been wanting to bake with Meyer lemons to see what all the foodie hype is about, so I bought a few bags of lemons when they went on sale at the local Hy-Vee.  Immediately, I knew what I was going to make -- Meyer Lemon Sticky Rolls.  They're like a cinnamon roll, but with a lemon filling.

I didn't follow the recipe, however.  I used my favorite white roll recipe, just because I know it always turns out.  Plus, I don't have a stand mixer, which the recipe calls for.


I probably should have followed the recipe, because I wasn't too impressed with these rolls.  My husband loved the cream cheese frosting, of course.  But I was hoping that the filling would end up more like lemon curd, not lemon sugar.

I ended up with quite a few leftover Meyer lemons, so I did a quick Google search and decided to bake these Meyer lemon muffins.  I loved how the muffins used up all of the lemon, the peel and everything, and not just the juice.  They were pretty good, too, although I'm not sure if I'd make them again.


Also, just by coincidence, I found a recipe for candied Meyer lemons just a day earlier, so I decided to give them a try, as well.  Unfortunately, I didn't care for this recipe.  The peel is still a little too bitter for me to enjoy.


All in all, it was fun spending a Sunday afternoon trying out Meyer lemon recipes.  Reminded me a little of summer canning season, which will be here again before we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails