Friday, June 18, 2010

Cookie Friday: Butter-Pecan Turtle Bars

Happy Cookie Friday, everyone!  I don't know about you, but I'm so ready for the weekend.  I've been working all week on deadline, so I'm looking forward to kicking back and relaxing, maybe seeing if there's anything fun to do in Des Moines this weekend.

I'm so excited to share this recipe with you.  I recently sorted through my huge stack of cookbooks and rediscovered the Ocheyedan United Methodist Church Cookbook, a wedding gift from a family member.

I found this gem of a recipe, Butter-Pecan Turtle Bars.  At first, I was skeptical that the bars would turn out, because one of the steps in the recipe is boiling brown sugar and butter, and I have terrible luck with making caramel.  And the cookie crust seemed a little dry when I was mixing it up.

But I'm telling you, you have to try these bars.  They are so rich and so good.  When my husband smelled the bars baking in the oven, he thought I was making toffee.  And it does taste like toffee, even though I was expecting gooey caramel like my favorite turtle candies.



The best part was they were so quick to make.  I baked them up on a weeknight. They would be perfect for unexpected treat days at work.  I already had all of the ingredients in my cupboard.  I love it when I don't have to make an extra trip to the grocery store.

Enjoy!

----------

Butter-Pecan Turtle Bars
From Ocheyedan Methodist Church Cookbook
  • 2 C. flour
  • 1/2 C. butter or margarine
  • 1 C. brown sugar
  • 1 C. pecan halves
  • 1/2 C. brown sugar
  • 2/3 C. butter or margarine
  • 1 C. milk chocolate chips
In mixer, combine flour, butter and brown sugar. Pat into 9x13-inch pan. Sprinkle pecans over unbaked crust.

Cook brown sugar and butter over medium heat.  Boil 30 to 60 seconds, stirring constantly.  Pour mixture over pecans and bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 22 mintues, or until caramel layer is bubbly.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.  Wait 2 to 3 minutes and swirl chips.  Cool and cut into bars.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails